Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hair and sledging

So after several complains it's time for an update (or two or three? ;)). But how to summarize 2 month without writing a novel. Well I try to be short. In general not that much happened. I did a lot for my uni courses and tried not to die during those weeks with -25°C. ;)

So in February after my visit to Rauma not much happened. Besides that I went to a Finnish interpretation of the musical Hair. I love this musical and have seen different productions already in Germany so I thought it wouldn't be that difficult. I know almost every song by heart in English and German so why not try it in Finnish. Well it wasn't such a smart idea I can tell you. First of all the musical, as part of this whole Turku 2011- Capital of Culture year, was performed in the Logomo building which is an old factory building. And well there is no heating. So I froze my butt of while trying to figure out what the story is about. Seriously I didn't get anything. The three main characters were represented by 3 groups of people. And well the whole musical was played by middle aged people, at least that's what it should have been. But seriously who wants to see mid 40s till mid 60s women and men dancing like in trance and on drugs in Hippie clothes. I had nightmares for days! But the songs were nice in Finnish. ;)

Listen yourself to recordings from the 70s.
Hiukset
Täynnä elämää
Niin paljon meitä petettiin + Kuljen valoon aurinkoon

March was a bit more exciting. First of all there was Laskiainen in the beginning of March. So what is that? Well in other parts of the world you call it carnival. But it's not really like in other countries with dressing up and so on. Finns have their own tradition and Finnish students as well. So first of all you eat special kinds of pulla during that time. They are filled with marmalade and cream. I, of course, bought some of these very expensive Laskiaispulla. Well not enough cream and my pulla are definitely better. ;)


A student tradition on Shrove Tuesday is going sledging. And so the students from Turku gathered at Vartiovuori, a little hill area with a big park south of the city center, to slide down a hill on crazy self-made sledges. Seriously those guys are crazy. We saw half naked beach volleyball players, a Finnish train, the burning Mylly-bridge (which collapsed in 2010 because of the very strong winter), a Kalevala scenery and 2 times the game 'Angry birds'. It was very funny to watch. But I couldn't stay the whole competition since my sister was visiting me and well she got sick on her very first day and that's why she was not in the mood of spending 4 hours outdoors. Anyway enjoy the pictures.



 And the winner was the Computer Science student club called DaTe with their interpretation of Angry Birds.

OK need to get my beauty sleep now since my cousin's wedding is tomorrow so it will be very long day since my parents want to party the whole night, at least that's what they told me and I'm the designated driver. ;) The next update hopefully follows then on Friday. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment