Saturday, April 23, 2011

Salpausselän kisat 2011


So, as in the past 5 years, at the beginning of March it was time for the Lahti Ski Games (Salpausselän kisat). This year due to the World Ski Championships in Oslo a week later than usual but still a must for me. Well that is the only constant in my life and I'll hold on to that till well till I'm ready to grow up and let go of my favorite sport. ;) So I'll probably hold on to Lahti forever. :P And please don't imagine me now as a 60 year old grey haired women in a bright blue jacked screaming at twenty something skiers who could be my grand-children. ;)

Well anyway, I was for about 4 1/2 days in Lahti and as always I wasn't alone. My sister was visiting me for a week and two other friends came also to Lahti (Angy and Nina) and well Katrin is living there so a whole bunch of people. To sum it up it was a great time with a few downs but more ups. I had an access-all-areas-pass which made me feel like a VIP. And this time I didn't even have to work part time as I did at the Nordic Junior World Championships in 2010. So I could go wherever I wanted including the media center, using the internet there, eating jummy food and in general warm up. :D So It was the most comfortable ski competition I've been to. :D No frozen feet!
So I was able to see all the competitions I wanted to see. Which where? Well Nordic Combined of course.

So if you haven't googled Lahti Ski Games by now I maybe should explain what it is. Well it is the combination of the 3 Nordic winter sports cross-country skiing, ski jumping and my favorite Nordic combined. So at that one weekend in March all three World Cups are held in Lahti which means 4 days of world class sports for a few Euros (or like me for free ;)).

The competitions I saw were great as always but my highlight was of course that the Nordic World Cup would end in Lahti, meaning the medal ceremony for the World Cup winner, or more important for me the second in the World Cup ;) , would be held in Lahti and I had the access-all-areas pass, so perfect chances to finally get some decent pics myself.

Well you can evaluate the pics yourself. :D

I had a good time even though everybody got sick and I felt more like a nurse than a friend or sister. ;) But now I know I can survive in a pharmacy with my 'super' Finnish skills. Thanks to our 'great' Finnish teacher in Turku and Riina and her ear pain. ;) (one of the many awful texts in our Finnish book)

So did I miss to mention anything important? Well not really, but we also went on Friday night to a Heavy Metal concert which was Ok but the day was so long that I was too tired to stay at the concert till 2am or maybe I'm just getting old. ;) And on Saturday I went out with a new friend and well it was interesting. :D There are some things you don't really want to see. :D Well I'm just glad that I'm probably the only one remembering how crazy everybody around me behaved. Hurray to teetotalism. ;)

Well also the 6th year at the LSG were great so surprise, surprise, I'm coming back next year. The room is already booked and a companion organized.


Nähdään vasta vuonna, Lahti!

No comments:

Post a Comment